Monday, August 18, 2008

Daddy's Girl

Erik has a new blog and while he has not yet made it public, I couldn't resist sharing this most recent post. He is a total sucker for that little girl, but I have to admit it is pretty cute most of the time.


"The fateful day is fast approaching. I have faced this day with Quincy and I managed it well. But this time it is my baby girl. She's my Sugar-Bean and she's so small. She's not ready to go to school on her own. I know it's only for a half-day but I'm not going to be able to protect her from other kids that might hurt her feelings. Small kids are monsters. Truly they are monstrous. Kindergartners are the scariest kids of them all. They are aware enough of other children and they want to play, but they lack the refinement of polite society. My daughter loves me but she also tells me that I'm fat. They say stuff like that. My fear is that her classmates will say hurtful things to her. The worst part is that I am too old to justify insulting a five year old to get even. Quincy is all boy. He is physical and rowdy and he and his friends do a fair amount of smack-talking. Adelaide is sweet and dainty. She likes to be pretty. And she is shy around new kids. She needs me to protect her. Seriously, she sticks close to me when she is scared and I thrive on protecting her. When she is "out there", sharing air with all those other five year old monsters, I won't be able to protect her.
I totally identify with Marlin, the father of Nemo, in Finding Nemo. Addie is small. That is her "lucky fin". She doesn't see it as a liability but I do. All of us parents know that we have to let them go but what do we do to fill the void? She has been my companion while Quincy is at school. We run errands together and play "Punch Buggy" in the car. I am hearing the Tevia's refrain: "Sunrise, Sunset..."












No comments: