Sunday, August 31, 2008

California Pasta with Artichokes and Almond-Citrus Pesto

I think maybe I'm done with the summer pasta dishes. While this one was not a total disaster like the last one, it just overall was not good enough to merit the money and time spent on it. While I was eager to try my hand at making my own pesto, I knew I was taking a chance by not having an actual food processer. In case you're thinking that a blender will work just as well, you would be wrong, especially if you try to use the rubber spatula to smush everything down when it fails to actually "blend". I did finally get it to work, but I had to call in Erik for assistance. Oh yeah, and I think I'll be omitting any artichoke hearts for awhile. They seem to only be available at New Seasons and now that the food stamp account has been cut back, we are not in a position to do the fancy pants shopping anymore. And besides, they're really not that good.

The salad wasn't bad. I do love all the different dressings that Rachael (Ray) does and for the most part they are really, really simple -- although a full jar of orange marmalade just to use one tablespoon is hard to justify. (Please feel free to submit your marmalade suggestions anytime because it is unlikely I will use it on toast.) The downfall of the salad was that I again followed all instructions and used arugula knowing full well that it was a more, how shall we say, flavorful lettuce. Rachael tries to pass it off as "spicy", but that's really not it. I liked it alright, but I'll let Quincy's comments speak for everyone else. Now keep in mind that this is the very unique 7 year old boy who looooves his salads and typically eats and enjoys just about anything I put in front of him. When clearing his plate after dinner he accidentally spilled his bowl on the floor. I told him not to worry about it and just let the dogs have it to which he quickly responded, "The dogs won't eat that." Nice.

Yeah, I think it will be fine to just go ahead and toss this one straight into the recycling.

No comments: