Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Confessions of a Commitment-phobe

My husband and I met about a year and a half before we started dating. Then it was about another 2-3 years until we were actually married. I believe he would tell you that the whole process could have been completed much sooner. Yes, it was me dragging my feet along, unable to commit until I was ambushed with a proposal. Sometimes I can be such a guy. I've come a long way since then (7 years and 2 kids later), but my "commitment issues" are beginning to rear their heads again.

After a little "hiatus" from the organized church for about a year and a half, we came to Portland and decided we were ready to try this again. We visited lots of lovely little congregations that really had nothing wrong with them (save one), but nothing either of us were interested in really becoming a part of. However, over time, we have found ourselves returning to 2 churches in particular. And we (at least I) just really like them both and don't want to choose one over the other. So now I have gone from never wanting to set foot in a church again to being torn between 2 that are soooo different considering how much they actually have in common. Joshua Harris would be so disappointed in me, but yes, I am dating not one, but 2 churches and I'm just not ready to "commit" to either one.

There will probably be more on this later, but Lost is coming on.

Later

No comments: