Friday, April 25, 2008

Nervous

Tomorrow morning at approximately 10:15am our family will be baptized, chrismated and received into the Orthodox Church.  A short while after that we will take our first communion in about 3 years.  Aside from all of the petty little logistics that I allow to rattle around in my mind and how things can go "technically" wrong, I am chewing on the profoundness of this moment.  It may sound strange to someone outside of this, but for me this is an event near to that of a wedding.  Even though I have been a practicing Christian for most of my life, this is what I believe I will look at as my conversion.  The commitment is huge, not only to Christ but also to this specific body of believers who have opened their arms to us.  Much like my wedding day, I just want to let go of the details and let the day take it's course whether Milo screams through his baptism or one of the older 2 resist putting their heads under the water or I just do something stupid.  I want to take in every moment so it's not just a big blur when I look back on it.  I want to honor those who have gone before me by not taking a single step or prayer lightly and embracing every second.  


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the newly illumined Young family. Hope you guys have a wonderful, incredible Pascha.

Christ is risen!

Heather said...

Thanks so much Matt! I'm feeling much better now that the technicalities are taken care of. We had a wonderful wonderful time at the service this morning and are looking forward to the celebration tonight. Will post more (with photos) later. Gotta cook my butter and cheese soaked dinner rolls. : )