Sunday, August 27, 2006

Simple vs. Easy

This morning, while visiting a friend's blog that I rarely frequent, I read this quote. "Simplicity does not reveal the level of effort involved." It was said during a business meeting, and then the blog went on to sing the praises of the simplicity of using a Mac and some other technical things pertaining to his work. I found the quote interesting, nonetheless. (ht to Chuck) And then later this morning, in the book I have just barely started reading (Julie and Julia), there was a brief paragraph on how "simple" is not exactly the same as "easy". Hmmmm. . . . . . .

As much as I really hate to admit it, perhaps living simply does take a greater amount of effort than I would like to accept. When you really think about it, It is harder to prepare a meal than to go out, call for delivery, or grab something at a drive through. And shopping! I get frustrated enough trying to locate what I need in the merchandising disaster that is Old Navy, and shamefully have remained too proud to really make an effort at Goodwill mostly because I can't find any rhyme or reason to the order of things there. Even making the choices to NOT be involved in every activity, every form of entertainment, every distraction available seems difficult in our go go go culture. I'm actually getting pretty good at that one though, mostly because my children are still quite young, I moved far away from my social network, and quit going to church for awhile. As I branch out more and my kids start getting older and wanting to try new things, those choices will come again I'm sure.

It just seems like simple should equal easy, doesn't it? I really waaaant it to equal easy. I'm starting to think that is not the case, though. I believe I'm going to have to mull it over for awhile before I'm really certain. In the meantime, I still hold to the idea that regardless of effort required, the payoff for cutting the clutter - physical, mental, emotional, wherever it may be - out of our life is still worth it. Right?

1 comment:

cori said...

I agree totally! Simple doesn't mean easy. Actually, sometimes chosing the simple life or simple things in life can mean lonely, different, weird. It has for us anyways. That's when you just have to stand firm in what you believe, know who you are (not needing others to affirm your stuff, choices, etc.) and why you do what you do.

We thought moving out here would help us find a little more simplicity in life...away from the entitlement attitude so prevalent from where we both just moved. Oh contraire! It's everywhere - that keep up with the Jones' mentality.

I guess the simplicity comes from our mind set - not our surroundings, huh?