Monday, September 15, 2008

Cutting the (Cable) Cord


A few weeks ago my husband, quite out of the blue, threw out the idea of canceling our cable service. When I pointed out that we only pay about $8.00 a month and that while we really do need to cut costs wherever we can, I wasn't sure this was going to make much of a difference.   To my surprise he said this was not about the money. It was more about time spent, more accurately lost as we mindlessly surf through looking for something to watch and almost worse, watching nonsense. He's right, I know. But in all honesty, it is a really difficult thing for me to commit to. (Shut up about my commitment issues. I already know.)

I have gone without TV before. When I was a kid, our TV was out of service for several months at a time. What's funny is that I have vivid and very fond memories of endless rounds of charades with my family. It's something I think all of us look back on with a smile. Four years of college -- no TV, no problem.  I was totally out of the loop when shows like "Home Improvement" and "Roseanne" premiered but I was alright with that. Same thing when I first moved out on my own.   My coworkers could not imagine how I survived without "the tube" to the extent that someone finally loaned me one. 

I think the problem now, is that I have come to rely on the TV for my "down" time.  That time when the kids are in bed finally and I can have some quiet grown up time.  I'm usually too tired, or at least that's what I tell myself, to really do anything else.  My kids are even more dependent.  I'm really not proud to say that my kid's love TV.  Actually, they love all forms of media and truth be told, that saddens me.  They go through phases of being really obsessive to relatively indifferent, but I know there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if we do decide to eliminate it.  Although, we wouldn't be getting rid of the TV, just the programming.  We would still have access to videos, DVD's and anything available on the internet.  Which leads me to my other doubt.  Would we really consume less if we simply cut out the cable?  Or would that simply open up our schedules to partake of different forms?  The painful truth for me is that if I really wanted to eliminate a time waster in my life it would be this glowing beast before me right now.  Talk about something that sucks the hours away....

I have a dear friend who lives with her family of 5 in England.  We have recently reconnected and I get to see a glimpse of her day to day life via Facebook.  (Yes, I see the irony here.)  I have to admit I get quite envious when I read about evenings spent on mom and dad's bed with a variety of activities -- reading, drawing, chatting.  Or when I see a photo of an impish little girl soaking up a sunny afternoon on a trampoline.  Or hear about things like recitations given as gifts.  It's all so rich and beautiful and void of pop culture.  I don't think my friend would describe her life as idyllic, but from where I stand I can't think of anything more appropriate.  Through very tough times they have more than strengthened their family bonds.  They are rock solid.

My kids are not fools, and TV and movies have not robbed them of their intellectual abilities.  (The jury is still out on what it has done to me.)  My kids are not disrespectful (most of the time) and are generally well mannered.  But inside I can't help but wonder if there could be a better way for us as a family.

I don't know if we will turn off the cable or not.  I think the greater challenge for all members of my family is establishing when enough is enough.  Setting limits we may not like, but stick to because they are in all our best interests.  And finding ways to get time away from this smorgasbord of technology that the world around us tries to convince us we need.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOooooooooo..........

Family time, schmamily time...your kids will be scarred for life and hate you forever.

Just kidding...but you guys are braver than I was when my kids were young ( or than I am now for that matter).
Geez, I'm glad my parents weren't as freakin' responsible as you guys are...what kind of childhood would I have had without Brady Bunch/Gilligan's Island/Speed Racer/The Munsters/The Flintstones, etc.

Good luck, and don't be surprised when the kids pack up and leave for grandma's house :)

cori said...

I love all your thought provoking questions. You are so right though...it's not about the $8 a month, it's about so much more. Good luck making the decision. :)

We also went thru periods of no tv (Dad shoved it in the attic). My personality type didn't really care - but there were others in my house who REALLY cared. Those "others" (to remain nameless who were not my dad or me) found the little 7 inch black and white one and sat in a corner in the bedroom huddled around it when dad wasn't home. :)

At one point (probably when we lived close to each other, when Gavin was first born) our t.v went out and we didn't have a vcr. Chuck and I ended up having so much fun talking, playing games and doing house projects during the time.

Is it good or is it bad? Who knows? Only time will tell.