Saturday, January 21, 2006

I guess it's settled then

While watching Rick Steve's Europe last week, Quincy asked me if Allah was Spanish for God. (Rick was in Turkey.) Not wanting to open up any complex theological exchange with my 4 year old I simply answered that Allah was the name that Muslims use while Christians are the ones who call him God. That, of course, led to the question of whether we were Christians. Oh great, what do I do now? I opted for honesty and told him that Mommy and Daddy were Christians, but that he and Adelaide will need to choose if they want to be. There was just a brief pause before he stated with confidence "Mommy, we'll be Christians too because we like to call God God." Simple enough, right? I think I'm just gonna leave it at that for the time being.

1 comment:

cori said...

Don't you just love how simple life is in the mind of our children? I love his simple, yet true answer. Maybe that's why Jesus wants us to be like them to enter heaven - adults complicate life too much. Don't we?